Sunday, August 2, 2020

Getting My Shit Together!

Please, tell me that I am not the only one overwhelmed by the never ending lists of things to do. I feel a constant pull towards getting all the things done so I have “time” to garden, bake, decorate, and get organized. There are things that I need to do daily, and then there are things I need to do once a week, or monthly and oh my gosh, keeping them all straight. I fantasize about establishing the perfect routine so that I can put my life on autopilot. I read books and listen to podcasts on organization, decluttering, doing less, doing more, procrastination and bullet journaling so that I can finally feel like I have it all together. I go in and out of being totally motivated and happy with my progress to feeling that I am not even close to getting to where I want to be. 


I am writing this for myself, to work through some of my frustrations. I want to have a clean and organized home. I want to have systems in place so that I can easily find the things I need. I want to be so organized that it will take me minutes to get out of the house. I want systems for our businesses, so that it takes me very little time to handle all the administration, legal and financials of the companies.  What I really want is OCD, no, not really but I would love to have a natural inclination to be put together in such a way that I walk smoothly through the day, not feeling frazzled or forgetting the really important tasks. 


I love lists. I write them all the time. I love checking off tasks and feeling a sense of accomplishment. I know that I have a problem with celebrating my achievements. I know I have a problem with slipping into over indulging on Social Media. I can mindlessly lose much of my day by not having made a list. I also, have a problem with writing a list in one place and then starting another list somewhere else. I have too many work spaces because I share a working computer with my husband and then I have another desk at the other end of the house. I know, I am not set up for production. Although, the other problem entirely is that I can’t neglect the daily things to tackle the large tasks to get things running more smoothly. I am making progress but I am having a hard time measuring it, or tracking it. I keep talking about it and writing about it and then occasionally doing something about it but the speed is slow and this is frustrating. The other big issue is priority. How do I decide? It all seems important.


In order to get a handle on things, I am going to take sometime to process all the things getting in my way of production. This is part of it. I am writing this, knowing I am posting it. I am going to use this as accountability. I know not having a “boss” is preventing me from working at the level I am capable of. This has always been a sore spot for me. I tell myself I am gonna do xyz and then I get distracted and waste time. I love saying yes and being helpful to others but it is a perfect way to not get done what I need to. If I had a boss expecting me to do something, I would have no problem with buckling down, saying no to other things and just getting it done. This is me, telling you, I am going to take the small daily steps to getting all the things in a proper order, while at the same time coping with the everyday derailments that will occur even with the best intentions. 


I am currently dealing with having a very needed toddler. I am still in transition mode since we moved recently, and in such a hurry, that nothing was properly gone through beforehand. I have so many different hats that it is hard to handle them all with the love and care I would like, plus I have other itches, such as writing that I need to make time for otherwise in the years to come I will kick myself for not just doing it. I don’t want to miss quality time with my kids, they really do grow so fast! I want to stop neglecting my marriage, while we are solid as a rock, I know that this is one of the most important areas of my life and he always gets the crumbs. I can’t stand that. Sean is the best partner around and I am so very lucky to have him but he gets the worst of me, which brings out the worst in him and that is not fair to either of us. And if that were not enough, we have back taxes and IRS things to deal with, a new business, and a new dog, correction, puppy that needs to be trained. Ugh, I am overwhelmed just writing this. 


Balance, it is all about balance, taking it one day at a time, one project at a time, and doing what I am doing while I am doing it. I know these are all true statements, even though, I want to do it all, have it all and be it all perfectly and simultaneously. I know I can get a bunch done when I focus on the task ahead of me. I also know that if I take the time to get organized and set timers I can move myself and my family into the direction we want it to go. I will celebrate my dones, but first I have to put all my lists together in one place. I will write the daily check lists. I will write my weekly tasks as well as monthly. I will post them where I can see them in the areas that I need them. I will write my leaving the house checklist. Once that is done, I will get to work, and only do what is on the list. If I think of something I won’t just go do it, I will add it to my list and finish what I am working on. I will make sure my daily checklists include, walks with my family and dog, reading out loud to my children, writing and all the little things that make me happy so as to reward my progress. 


You heard it here first! I am getting organized and less overwhelmed! Who’s with me? I am going to prepare for a highly productive week and I will be sure to let you know how I did. I really love a challenge, so I joined two, which start Monday. One is called 75HARD and another one is a productivity challenge with Jordan Page of Fun, Cheap or Free, if anyone is interested in doing them with me to help you with your own “get your shit together” journey, please, let me know! 


Much love, Becca The Bad  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home